Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Response of a Laboratory Rat--or, Being Protocoled

It is without a doubt that there is not one perfect writer on this planet. From the dawn to the dusk of humanity, no one will ever be able to harness the beast known as the English Language and utilize it to make a "perfect" piece. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder, and, there are approximately 8 billion sets of eyes on this planet. Though no writer is perfect, more effective and experienced writers consistently try to expand the literary minds of their students. In his response to Dr. Carol Berkenkotter's study, Donald Murray said, "I find it very difficult to make my students aware of the layers of concern through which the writing writer must oscillate at such a speed that it appears the concerns are dealt with instantaneously." After reading this quote, I believe that Murray's relationship with his audience is an attempt to get unexperienced writers on his level of writing. In order to do so, Murray must both show examples of his experienced writing and try to essentially "dumb himself down" to get his students to understand the message he is trying to convey. Since I am quite an unexperienced writer myself, I believe I relate to my audience without trying to do so. Though my vocabularly may be large and my writing style may be different, I believe that I am an easy writer to follow. Since I've never really had anyone complain about not understanding the message I was trying to convey, I never have really thought about my audience directly. I write for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment